Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Adium SMS / Email Plugin "Improvements"

There's lots of things I should be blogging about:
  • My Christmas in Ghana
  • My job search and how its gone so far
  • My thesis (I'll finish setting up my thesis blog today)
  • My current coding exploits
For now I'd like to get my Adium plugin up and running before the semester starts
so its taking priority.

I corrected a bug in the original version thanks to advice from Peter Hosey.

I added Four Canadian service providers (Rogers, Telus, Fido and Bell Mobility) as per requests from users. With regards to service providers, many more can be added. The only problem will be testing since I personally don't have access to that many people in countries outside of the U.S. with cell phones. Here is my current policy: If you want a service provider added, let me know about it. I'll add only if you are prepared to test the smtp gateway and confirm that it works.

There is now support for AddressBook. I'm still maintaining a "Save Settings before Sending Email or SMS policy"; that might change depending on feedback. When
you open the Edit Email/SMS Settings window, there is a drop down text field.
If your contact is already in AB, I pull all their associated phone numbers and email addresses in the order in which they appear in AB. From there, you can select and save whichever email address or phone number you prefer.

Any and all feedback on the plugin is appreciated. I'll post the new source code shortly for critique but for now I just want feedback on the plugin proper. See previous plugin
posts
on how to use the plugin, what it does etc.

Note plugin is in beta stage. License can be found here

Download the plugin here

6 comments:

Brian said...

Thanks for your hard work on the plugin, I got it working. Is there any way to remove all the header info from the SMS and just send the meesage text?

Emilio said...

Hi,

I was wondering if someone I text to, can send me a reply? or if they must send to my email address? thanks!! works awesome!! : )

Emilio said...

Hi Posted this on the Adium board, but thought you might check this first. The problem I'm having is that the phone numbers are not being saved. I have got it working and checked it on various carriers, but as soon as I close the dialog, the phone number is gone...not handy.

thanks,

Unknown said...

Hey can you make it so that people with US Cellular can be text to.

Great job love this Plugin

Anonymous said...

First off, Thank you, I've been waiting for this ever since Apple disabled bluetooth in Address Book! I'm having the same problem as emilio: Buddy numbers are not saved when I re-open Adium. Also, the drop down in "edit e-mail/sms settings" doesn't work (is blank). Thanks in advance for any support.

Getting Out Of My Head said...

hi there,

wondering if this plugin is still around? i can't seem to dl it off the AdiumExtras site.

thanks

Blog Archive

Labels